Monday, June 27, 2011

Allie gets a haircut! Clipping Cows!

Clipping cows:  What does that mean??  A haircut of course! 

There are a few reasons for a cow haircut:
  1. Grooming - It's nice to clip a cow in the spring to get her thick winter hair off.
  2. Looks - A cow may get clipped for a show or to show her off to visitors.  A clipped cow makes her look more attractive.
  3. Both!
Clipping a cow is just like shaving a dog, except with bigger clippers.  It would take forever to clip a cow with pet clippers.  The clipping process is not painful for the cow at all.  To make sure it is a safe process for both the cow and myself, I like to put them in a "clipping chute."  The chute ensures that the cow stays in one spot AND gives me the flexibility to get every angle.  It also gives the cow the flexibility to drink water and eat during the process.

Clipping is not necessarily fun for the "clipper." Hahah.  Usually when I'm finished, I am covered in hair.. in MY hair, in my nose, and down my shirt!  Definately need a shower afterwards.  The worst is when its really hot and humid.  Yikes! 

Here is a video of one of our cows, Allie, and the haircut process! I clipped her in April to get her winter hair off.


No comments:

Post a Comment