Thursday, April 28, 2011

Thirsty Thursday: Milk for ALL ages!

New series! Thirsty Thursday.

defn: term derived from the activities performed by college students on Thursday evenings. I had milk drinking parties and bars only served milk in Thursdays.  JUST KIDDING!  I know I had you going... or not.

I love milk.  As I said before, we usually drink 4 gallons of milk a week - just between my husband and I. :) There is nothing that tastes better with a "steak and potato" home cooked meal or as a quick refresher with a sandwich at lunch.  I remember in elementary school, my favorite part of the day was the two milk breaks we got! hahaha.  I want to schedule two milk breaks into my day now... AND.. the nap time... I will ask my manager what he thinks... :)  Everyone's doing it....

I love my milk COLD, too.  When we bought a new refrigerator last year, we HAD TO HAVE the model with the separate milk chiller.  It rocks.  It keeps the milk 3-5 degrees cooler than the rest of the refrigerator. 

Milk is naturally nutrient-rich like no other beverage, and provides 9 essential nutrients that your family needs.  I found a crazy interactive tool on the Got Milk? website.  Roll over each age group to see how milk can benefit you at any age.   Check it out!!

Here are the age breakdowns :
  • Newborn/Infant (Birth to 11 months)
  • Young Toddler (12-24 months)
  • Toddler (2-3)
  • Child (4-8)
  • Adolescent (9-12)
  • Teen (13-19)
  • Twenties
  • Thirties
  • Forties
  • Fifties
  • Sixty and Older
Looking at my age group (twenties) - my calcium requirement is 1000 mg daily which can be achieved with only 3 - 8 oz glasses of milk.  Only 3 for me!  Woot Woot!  How are you doing?

Next week for "Thirsty Thursday" I will be guiding you to a website where you can see where your dairy products come from by typing in the "plant code" on the container.  Pretty neat!

No comments:

Post a Comment